When you have awnings to keep the outdoor space for your business in Greenville, NC, Rocky Mount, NC, and surrounding areas shaded, proper maintenance is essential. Dedicated and regular awning care makes sure that it lasts for years to come. That being said, if you don’t work with awnings every day, you might not know the best practices. At Rocky Mount Awning & Tent Company, we’ve been working fabrication of awnings, tents, and signs in Greenville, NC, Rocky Mount, NC, and surrounding areas since 1925, so we’ve picked up some tips and tricks over the years. With that in mind, here’s our handy guide to help you maintain your awnings.
At the start of every season, there is some care you need to do. Here’s what we do every season:
- Sweep the Top– Get all the loose dirt from the top and bottom of the awning. This helps keep the fabric bright and pristine and prevents dirt build up. Make sure to use a broom with soft bristles to help protect the fabric.
- Trim Greenery Around the Awning– Make sure to trim all shrubs, vines, and trees to keep them from rubbing or pulling at the fabric. Many plants even contain an acid that wears down fabric, causing discoloration. Branches and twigs can also poke the awning. It’s a great idea, every season to make sure no plants are moving in on your awning.
- Check for Holes and Tears– Small holes are easy to repair so it’s better to get it sooner than have to repair a big hole later.
Do these things at the start of every Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter to make sure your awning stays in tip top shape all year long.
Put a date on your calendar every year to give your awning a good wash. Depending on the year or how much pollen you have, you may have to do it more than once, but at least once will make sure it gets a good clean. If you haven’t done this yet, fall is a great time to do it. Follow the below steps.
- Leaving the awning on the frame, do a cursory sweep to get off unnecessary debris. You don’t need to take the awning off the frame. In most cases, it’s perfectly fine to leave it on.
- Spray the whole awning with cool water on the top and underside. This takes off dirt that might not come off with sweeping. Make sure to do this on a hot, sunny day so it gets dry.
- Wash the top with a solution made of water and mild soap. Using a soft bristle brush or cloth, work the solution into the fabric from the bottom to the top.
- After allowing time for it to soak in, rinse the awning with a hose, until the soap residue is gone. Make sure you get all the soap out, because soap residue can cause discoloration.
After you do all that, you should have a nice, clean awning to attract customers all year long.
Need More Awning Tips in Greenville, NC?
Beyond doing the above maintenance tasks , it’s important to remember to spot clean as needed. You don’t want bird droppings or tree sap tarnishing your awning. If you need any more help with maintaining or repairing your awning, don’t hesitate to seek the help of Rocky Mount Awning and Tent Company. o matter your business, whether you’re seeking awnings, signs, or tents, Greenville, NC or Rocky Mount, NC— We’re ready to serve. From signage for restaurants to laundromats, grocery stores to truck beds, we’re ready to work with you for lasting signage for your business. If you’re ready to get started, contact us today.