Any small business owner knows that marketing your business is half the battle. Whether you’re a new business owner or you’re trying to spruce things up a bit for more business, your signage and logo is essential. Signs are effective ways to get your message across: what services or products you’re selling.
We know that creating a sign can seem daunting, but at Rocky Mount Awning and Tent Company, we are a custom sign company that has been serving Rocky Mount, NC, Greenville, NC, and Fayetteville, NC for almost 100 years. We will help you create, install, and service our signs for years to come.Are you ready to start catching the eyes of potential customers? Contact us today to get started! In the meantime, here are some tips on how to design the perfect sign for your new business!
Once you’ve decided which sign fits your needs and where it’s going, you’re ready to start designing. Here are some helpful tips when it comes to designing the perfect sign:
- Use a big and bold font. Typography is important for getting your message across, and using a heavy typeface provides higher contrast to make it more readable and bold. When designing a sign, avoid script fonts with elegant, thin strokes.
- Write a simple message with a large enough font size to reach your expected audience. Large signs are not meant for complex messages. Stay away from educational content, but instead use signs to share promotional, brand or event focused messaging. Don’t try to say it all at once – pick the one message you want to convey to customers and make it a quick read. The larger your font and message is, the faster people will understand it, whether they are in a car or just walking by.
- Create high contrast to make your sign eye-catching. For example, if your logo is a light color, it needs to be on a dark enough background to be seen. Also, think about contrast in context of the sign’s location. If you’re hanging a banner on a brick wall, it won’t stand out of its red.
- Know what substrate is best for your images. If you’re highlighting art or photography and you don’t expect glare, glossy will work best for making those shots standout. Otherwise, matte is your best bet for a readable sign.
- Choose a vector file type for a logo so it can be scalable at any size and a high-quality PDF or JPG file for imagery. We support a variety of file formats for uploaded designs:
- Adobe Acrobat 9 Document (*.pdf) (recommended)
- Adobe Illustrator CS3 Artwork (*.ai) (recommended)
- Adobe Photoshop CS3 Image (*.psd) (recommended)
- Bitmap Image (*.bmp)
- GIF Image (*.gif)
- JPEG Image (*.jpg,*.jpeg)
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 Document (*.ppt)
- Microsoft Word 2010 Document (*.doc)
- PCX Image (*.pcx)
- PICT Image (*.pic,*.pict,*.pct)
- PNG Image (*.png)
- PostScript Document (*.ps)
- TIFF Image (*.tif,*.tiff)
- Upload a high-resolution photo or logo. The larger your banner, the higher resolution you’ll need for your photos. If you get a resolution error, don’t ignore it. Your images will likely have the right resolution if they are:
- Photos taken on a quality camera.
- Stock photography.
- A logo designed by a professional designer or using our design services.
If any or all of this seems overwhelming, don’t worry! We’ve got you covered. When you partner with us at Rocky Mount Awning & Tent Company, you’re not just buying or designing a sign for your business. You’re creating a partnership, and we will make sure your products stay as beautiful as they were when they were first installed. Contact Rocky Mount Awning & Tent Company today for all your awning, tent, and sign needs!