At Rocky Mount Awning and Tent Company, we serve Rocky Mount, Greenville, and the Outer Banks, North Carolina and surrounding areas with our custom awnings, canopies, and signs. We have been an in-house fabricator of awning and custom signs since 1925, and we can help make your homefront and storefront dreams a reality! We’re a one-stop shop that can create, install, and service our signs, awnings, and canopies for many years.
When you make the decision to find the perfect awning for your home or your storefront, there’s a lot that goes into finding the perfect awning. Awnings are an excellent way to save energy and money for your home or business. Awnings can actually reduce temperatures by 8 to 15 degrees, and they can reduce air conditioning costs up to 25%. Most importantly, awnings help to protect your loved ones and your home from sun damage and UV rays.
There are so many choices when it comes to awnings, including shapes, sizes, and materials to choose from. Picking the right material for your awning is so much more than thinking about your budget. The type of material you end up choosing for the perfect awning can save you long term.
Here are a few common awning materials:
- Vinyl and polyester composite fabrics. These offer durability and are waterproof and fire retardant. The material is light and flexible, and the vinyl fabric will stay tight on its frame. This kind of material offers both versatility and flexibility for residential and commercial buildings.
- Acrylic fabrics. These are more durable than a traditional cotton blend canvas, and they offer an appealing design element. Acrylic fabrics repel water, but they are not technically waterproof. These are best for buildings in humid areas because they resist mildew and UV light damage.
- Some awnings are coated with vinyl. These are translucent and can be heavy too, and they’re also good at resisting mildew and UV light.
- Metal awnings. These offer high durability, but metal awnings need more maintenance than other types. This is because you have to prevent your metal awning from rusting over time. These are heavier and typically more expensive too, and they serve as a magnet to heat during the summer. Architecturally, metal awnings are great, but metal awnings have more disadvantages than other traditional fabric awnings.
- Natural materials. Awnings can be made from materials like wood and canvas. These natural materials are cheaper, but unfortunately they can be easily damaged. Natural fiber awnings need to be replaced more often than acrylic or vinyl.
A good awning can save you money, energy, and time, along with reducing sun damage to your home or business. For all of your awning, sign, canvas, and tarp needs in the Rocky Mount and Greenville, NC areas, contact Rocky Mount Awning and Tent Company today! Check out our previous work, and let us know if you have any questions. We can’t wait to work with you to make all your storefront dreams a reality.